Become a Neighborhood Coordinator: If you are interested in becoming a Neighborhood Coordinator (NC) and are willing to pick up food every two months, here is some general information about the responsibilities and activities of an NC.
- What does a Neighborhood Coordinator (NC) do? The NC organizes a group of people who have agreed to be food donors. Each donor receives a reusable green bag to fill in a two month period. On the designated delivery dates (the second Saturday of even months), all bags are collected and delivered to the A-TCAA Food Bank in Jamestown. Several emails are sent out to project participants to remind them of the pick-up date and alert them of any special food items needed by A-TCAA.
- How much food will people donate? We suggest Donors buy one extra nonperishable food item each week, but that will vary. Some people donate multiple bags; others donate a few cans. Our motto, “Making a difference, one can at a time” means any donation makes a difference.
- How much time does being an NC involve? The time commitment is minimal. Usually it involves a few hours every other month, although more time may be needed to establish the “neighborhood”.
- When is Pickup Day? Our “official” pickup day is the 2nd Saturday of even months (February, April, June, August, October, December). All bags are brought to A-TCAA between 9:00-12 where replacement bags and other supplies are available. The MLFP is designed to give you as much flexibility as possible. Alternative drop off locations the week before we deliver to A-TCAA Food Bank in Jamestown include:
- What happens on Pickup Day? Each Food Donor puts his or her green food bag out by the front door. You pick up each bag, leave an empty replacement one and a “Thank-you” card (which we supply), and take the food to the A-TCAA Food Bank in Jamestown. If you deliver your food on our “official” pickup day, food bank volunteers will be there from 9:00 to noon to accept, weigh, and sort it. If you deliver bags the week before to an alternative drop-off spot, we will see that your bag(s) are delivered to the A-TCAA Food Bank on the designated Saturday. When we have a total weight for the entire delivery, we will email you so you can let your Food Donors know how much of an impact the Food Project, and their work, is having.